Ministry of Energy, Minerals Signs New Agreements for Social Responsibility Initiatives
Muscat, 8 Dec (ONA) --- Eng. Salim Nasser Al Aufi, Minister of Energy and Minerals, today signed three agreements with oil and gas companies and several government entities and non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
The move comes as part of the joint social responsibility project initiative between the Ministry and the six oil and gas contributing companies; PDO, Occidental Oman, BP Oman, OQ, Daleel Petroleum and CC Energy Development.
The first agreement was signed with Dr. Ahmed Mohsin Al Ghassani, Chairman of Dhofar Municipality, and Steve Phimister, PDO Managing Director, to establish Ittin Natural Park in Dhofar. The contributing companies will support 40% of the project with Dhofar Municipality covering the remaining 60%. PDO will also be responsible for managing the venture on behalf of the six contributing companies.
This scheme will play a vital role in enhancing tourism in Dhofar by attracting tourists throughout the year. It will provide camping facilities, outdoor seats, cafes, a theatre and walkways. It will also support events and activities at the park, such as seminars, conferences, ballad evenings and artistic exhibitions, which will positively impact Dhofar’s cultural development.
Further, the project will contribute to providing business opportunities for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) through rental schemes and the provision of kiosks for sellers, as well as tenders for project maintenance and follow-ups.
The second agreement was signed with HH Sayyid Dr. Fahad Al Julanda Al Said, Vice Chancellor of Sultan Qaboos University (SQU), and Eng. Yousef Al Ojaili, President of BP Oman. This supports the establishment of greenhouses with special specifications and the study of their use by farmers. BP Oman will manage the project on behalf of the contributing companies.
The idea is to establish four modern greenhouses for SQU’s College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences to international standards under prepared and scientifically studied conditions to protect crops from climate change and cyclones, increase productivity and provide farmers with simple and creative plantation and conservation methods.
The third agreement aims to furnish the new building of the Association of Early Intervention for Children with Disability in Muscat. It was signed between Sabah Mohammed Al Bahlani, CEO of the Association, and Eng. Yousef Al Ojaili, President of BP Oman. BP Oman will manage the project on behalf of the contributing companies.
These projects build on the success achieved after the implementation of the joint social responsibility projects between the Ministry and the oil and gas companies. The Ministry has worked together with the companies to support projects that benefit the community, aim for sustainability and contribute to the development and enhancement of various sectors in Oman.